5 Things You Should Know About Caprylic Capric Triglycerides
1. These days, the buzz word for any product – whether you eat it, apply it or work with it is ‘natural,’ and manufacturers are eager to display that word, or variations on it, on their products. Natural is good of course, but it’s not always safe. Many of the so-called ‘natural’ ingredients in modern skin care products are either harmful, or maybe not enough is known about their long term use to guarantee that they are safe. Caprylic capric triglycerides fall into that unknown category.
2. Caprylic capric triglycerides are classed as ‘medium chain triglycerides’ (MCTs). That means that although they are extracted from coconut oil, which is acknowledged to be a healthy oil, they are processed in a laboratory to rearrange the carbon atoms. Although some people might disagree with this opinion, many skin care and nutrition experts believe that laboratory processing cancels out the obvious benefits of natural ingredients.
3. MCTs are used in medicine to treat food absorption and digestive orders, as well as certain lung and liver conditions, and even AIDS. Caprylic capric triglyceride in particular is used in face creams and many cosmetics. It creates a barrier to prevent moisture loss through the skin, and also helps to moisturise the skin, giving creams a silky feeling on the complexion.
4. As far as skin care manufacturers are concerned, caprylic capric triglyceride is useful because it prolongs the shelf life of the products, helps to thin down thicker creams and gives them a pleasant feeling on the skin. It’s also stable when mixed with other chemicals, and promotes efficient pigment distribution, which ensures that cosmetic colours are true and stable.
5. Caprylic capric triglyceride is classed as a safe additive for foods, and there is no definitive evidence to suggest that it is potentially toxic or harmful. However, the fact remains that it is a chemical, and skin care and cosmetic products that contain chemicals cannot truly claim to be ‘natural.’ This is why many people question its validity as a natural skin care ingredient.
Naturally Mediterranean is one of the few skin care manufacturers that can accurately assert that all its products are completely natural and devoid of chemicals. The high quality, 100% natural ingredients in our products have been used for skin care for centuries. The same cannot be claimed for caprylic capric triglyceride – it’s a modern chemical compound, but we do not believe it should ever be used in modern skin care products.
“Never Put This on Your Face or Skin” – Dr Mercola Healthy Skin
Despite all the marketing hype – this popular substance coats your skin like plastic, clogging pores and can create a build-up of toxins… If you have been reading this site for awhile you know that I am a major advocate of plenty of safe sun exposure and all the healthy vitamin D that it will generate for you. Read more at……“Never Put This on Your Face or Skin”.